ITA at JEC World 2016 in Paris
ITA presents its textile value chain from fibre to component at JEC World 2016 from 8 - 10 March in Paris
The Institut für Textiltechnik of RWTH Aachen University (ITA), Germany, exhibits at the booth of AZL and 8 partnering institutes of RWTH Aachen University “Composites in Action – Composites 4.0 – JEC Group in Partnership with AZL“, booth no. C80 in hall 6. There ITA presents its expertise based on the textile value chain from the fibre to the component with the following main exhibits:
Pressure vessel produced on a Multifilament Winding Machine „MFW-48“
The MultiFilament Winding Machine „MFW-48“ was developed and built by Murata Machinery Ltd., Japan. It allows high productivity of preforms for applications in composites and features very good mechanical properties in fibre direction. MFW-48 is the first machine of its kind in Europe which shall be installed at ITA prospectively.
In the MFW process, a large number of bobbins are processed simultaneously. Reinforcement fibres, e.g. Carbon fibres, are deposited on a mandrel and can be gradually wound and stacked on the mandrel. The mandrel moves in horizontal direction and rotates. This enables production of tubular structures with a unidirectional non-crimp reinforcement structure (picture 1 “Pressure vessel shape overwrapped with MultiFilament reinforcement structure”, source: Murata Machinery Ltd.)
To produce a full layer of reinforcement structure covering the whole mandrel surface, the mandrel has to be moved through the machinery only once. This leads to a very short manufacturing time for every single layer and an overall high preforming productivity (picture 2 “Concept of MFW and MFW 48 machine”, source: Murata Machinery Ltd.).
The local availability of this new machine type at ITA will allow interested European industry partners to benchmark, prototype and validate their potential composite products with a real non-crimp reinforced fibre structure.
A video sequence showing the machinery and its working principle can be viewed at the ITA stand. In addition a demonstrator will be displayed. For further information please contact Michael Lengersdorf.
Please find further information and pictures in the press release below.
We are looking forward to welcoming you on our booth “Composites in Action – Composites 4.0 – JEC Group in Partnership with AZL“, booth no. C80 in hall 6 (JEC 2016, ITA, hall 6 booth no. C80).
- Picture 1: Pressure vessel shape overwrapped with MultiFilament reinforcement struture, source: Murata Machinery Ltd. (jpg: 45 kb)
- Picture 2 "Concept of MFW and MFW 48 machine", source: Murata Machinery Ltd. (png: 118 kb)
- Picture 3: Car roof segment based on integral reinforced fabrics, source: ITA (jpg: 1757 kb)
- Picture 4: Textile-reinforced concrete table, source: ITA (png: 420 kb)
- Picture 5: 3D-woven omega stringer, source: ITA (jpg: 1992 kb)
- Picture 6: "From the fibre to the component", source: ITA (jpg: 2328 kb)
- Picture 7: Folded textile reinforce concrete element, source: ITA (jpg: 2466 kb)
- Picture 8: Braided profile made out of thermoplastic fibre reinforced plastic with integrated inserts, source: ITA (jpg: 2757 kb)
- Picture 9: Laser drilled preform with integrated insert, source: ITA
- Picture 10: Locally reinforced fabric with integrated insert, source: ITA (jpg: 209 kb)
- Picture 11: Radial braided basaltic fibre structure, source: ITA (jpg: 2277 kb)